Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Shallom Johnson

I met Shallom Johnson at the BC Fashion Week Generation Next Show. Little did I know that it would open up a door of opportunities in the fashion world in leading me to photograph my very first Vancouver Fashion Week runway shows. I knew Shallom Johnson was a dancer who was a fashion enthusiast. Later, I found out she was an artist, photographer and writer. Best quality I liked about her was her kindness and willingness to take a risk especially when I asked her if she wanted to do a photoshoot with me. The theme would be Wizard of Oz. Thank God for the kindness of strangers. I searched for fabric, designed costumes and did the photoshoot with her in a matter of two weeks. Her enthusiasm continues to inspire me. She is highly involved with the next upcoming Vancouver Fashion Week. She continues to dance on a contract basis. Her last assignment with Contradiction Dance made me think of one's everlasting struggle with leaving home and new beginnings. She also writes for Spade Magazine. She is an artist who uses her body, art and writings to express herself. One can't help but relate to her thoughts and feelings. She's a highly adaptable and creative person who changes with the seasons and people around her as she searches for inspiration in a variety of art forms.


No comments: